Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How can I get an assessment done on my property?
    To get information on assessments, visit the Property Value Services Corporation (PVSC)
  2. What are the tax rates?
    Tax Rates for 2019/20 are as follows:
    Residential – $2.06/100 of assessment
    Commercial – $3.88/100 of assessment (for information about our Development Support Program, click here Development Support Program
  3. Can I pay my taxes online?
    Yes - Go to Make a Payment.
  4. Does the Town Hall accept VISA and MC?
    Yes - Go to Make a Payment. We also accept cheques, cash, money orders or debit.
  5. Where can SRHS program registration forms be picked up?
    They can be found at SRHS Community Use Programs or at the Town Office.
  6. How can I pay my parking ticket?
    Parking tickets are paid at the Town Office or payment can be mailed with the ticket number included.
  7. When can I expect to receive my tax bills?
    Tax bills are sent twice a year, once in April and final billing for the remaining amount is billed in August. Sewer will also be billed on the final tax bill.
  8. I have questions about recycling and waste management. Who should I contact?
    For questions on Waste Management, you should contact the Waste Diversion Coordinator by calling the Municipality of the District of Shelburne at (902) 875-5336.
  9. How do I place a Work Order?
    Contact the Town Office at 902-875-2991, ext. 1, or complete the online formNote: a plumber must be called to confirm the obstruction is not on private property for Town to respond to a sewer block
  10. How do I make a By-Law Complaint?
    Contact Special Constable, Margaret Ruiz, at 902-874-0544 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
  11. I have a question about a Town By-Law or Policy; who do I contact?
    Contact the Town Office, Julie Ferguson, Town Clerk/Special Projects Coordinator, 902-875-2991, ext. 8 for questions and information regarding Town By-Laws.
  12. What is my property zoning?
    Contact Darren Shupe, CAO, at 902-875-2991 ext. 5. for zoning questions and information.
  13. Who do I contact if I want to build a building on my property?
    Contact Darren Shupe,CAO,  at 902-875-2991 ext. 5.
  14. How can I add an event to the event board?
    Contact Nicole Bishop, Customer Service Representative at 902-875-2991, ext. 1.
  15. How do I book the Guild Hall?
    Contact Nicole Bishop, Customer Service Representative at 902-875-2991, ext. 1.
  16. How do I book the Community Centre?
    Contact Nicole Bishop, Customer Service and Finance Representative at 902-875-2991, ext.1.
  17. When does Town Council meet?
    Shelburne Town Council regular meetings are held every first and third Monday of the month.   Please reference Agendas and Minutes.
  18. Can I attend a Town Council meeting?
    The public is encouraged to attend Shelburne Town Council meetings; in-camera sessions, which are closed to the public, are occasionally held in accordance with Municipal regulations, usually for the first 30 minutes of a regular meeting.
  19. How many Council members are there for the Town of Shelburne?
    Shelburne Town Council is comprised to a Mayor and four Councillors, with the position of Deputy Mayor rotating annually so that all Council members serve a one year term as Deputy Mayor.
  20. Can I have my concern placed on a Town Council meeting Agenda?
    Yes, members of the public can request to have items added to a Town Council meeting Agenda by writing a letter to the Council and sending it to P.O. Box 670 or dropping it off at the Town Office to the Attention of Julie Ferguson, Town Clerk.  Each Agenda also sets aside two 15 minute time slots for Delegations; groups and/or individuals with items for Council.  To book as a Delegation please contact Julie Ferguson, Town Clerk, 902-875-2991, ext. 8.  If you have comments for Council, they can be sent as a letter or emailed to Julie Ferguson, Town Clerk, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Correspondence and delegations requests must be recieved prior to the Wednesday afternoon preceeding a scheduled council meeting.
  21. What are the business hours for the Town Office?
    Town Office is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  22. How can I join a Town Committee?
    Members of the public are encouraged to apply for positions on any Town Committee they are interested in joining; the Town Committees are Community Participation & Volunteerism Committee, Community & Economic Development Committee, Shelburne County East RCMP Advisory Board Committee and Port Authority Committee. Learn about the committees or Community Participation & Volunteerism.  Contact Julie Ferguson, Town Clerk, 902-875-2991, ext. 8.
  23. Who do I contact about recreation and bicycle programs in the area?
    Contact the Physical Activity & Community Use Coordinator, at (902) 875-2831, or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  24. Are the trails in the Town of Shelburne designated as multi-use?
    No, the trail through the Town of Shelburne is not designated for ATVs or other recreational vehicles; it is for pedestrian traffic only.  Horses are prohibited on the trail but dogs may be walked on a leash